The following information highlights the specific subject matter, workshop activities, and course materials included as part of Corepoint Health’s HL7 is a Standards Developing Organization accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) to author consensus-based standards representing a board view from healthcare system stakeholders. HL7 has compiled a collection of message form...: By the Book and Beyond Workshop. Please note that the prerequisite for HL7: By the Book and Beyond is the online, instructor-led HL7: First Steps seminar.
Day 1: 8:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Part 1: The HL7 Standard and Key Subject Areas
- An overview of HL7 chapters
- Chapter layout/format
- Hierarchy of identifiers
- HL7 communication
- Order entry
- Financial management
- Observation reporting
- Logical Observation Identifiers Names and Codes (LOINC) applies universal code names and identifiers to medical terminology related to the EHR and assists in the electronic exchange and gathering of clinical results (such as laboratory tests, clinica... – clinical templates
- The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) was enacted by the U.S. Congress in 1996. Title II of HIPAA, known as the Administrative Simplification (AS) provisions, requires the establishment of national standards for electronic h... context
- Clinical Document Architecture (CDA) HL7 CDA uses XML for encoding of the documents and breaks down the document in generic, unnamed, and non-templated sections. Documents can include discharge summaries, progress notes, history and physical reports,...
Part 2: HL7 Communication Protocols
- Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) is a low-level communications protocol used to connect hosts on the Internet or a network. TCP/IP connections are established between clients and servers via sockets. TCP/IP is stream-oriented ... traffic monitoring
- Hybrid lower layer protocol (LLP)
- TCP/IP basics
- TCP/IP MLP
- SNA APPC LU6.2
Day 2: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Part 3: What's Next – Version 3
- How is version 3 better?
- HL7 v3.0 details
- Goals & planned benefits
- How we plan to get there
- Current status
- Publishing schedule
- V3 domains
- Mapping between 2.X and 3.X
- Mapping 2.X to 3.X status
- Impact on providers?
Part 4: Interface Tools and Technologies
- Interface engines vs. peer-to-peer HL7 interfaces
Using HL7 with an interface engine
- Engine connection naming
- Engine message loads
Required features for HL7 solutions
- HL7 ACK handling
- Monitoring and alerts
- Custom needs
- HIPAA and role-based access
- Interface engine vendors and interface flows
Day 3: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Part 5: Practical Implementation of HL7 in The Real World
- Understanding important interface features and the short- and long-term costs of each, including what to review when considering an HL7 interface (a single missing feature could crush your budget)
- Buying vs. building an HL7 interfaces: what price is reasonable and which approach is best for your project?
- Realizing the value of HL7 through flexible interfaces – how an interface that is pliable will pay for itself again and again during every project
- Designing HL7 interfaces for the real world – learn what is likely to happen during implementation and how you can prepare before it is too late
- Understand issues typically faced during interface roll out and how to avoid most of these issues while preparing for the ones that are unavoidable
- Documenting your interfaces – the why, when, and how to write HL7 interface specifications
- Preparing for interface support after go-live – assessing the skill set of your staff
- Implementing business rules and preliminary database-to-HL7 mapping – live demo of a VisualBasic-based program that implements a complex HL7 interface and business logic
- Understanding the true costs of HL7 interfaces – know all the expenses of an interface before you jump in
Additional Workshop Activities, Materials, & Handouts
- Student workbook
- 500+ slide pages / presentation notes
- Summit Medical – HL7 Case Study
- HL7 V3.0 – Preview for Managers
- Demographic Interface Specification: MedicaLogic
- Observation Reporting Interface Specification: MedicaLogic
- Scheduling Interface Specification: MedicaLogic
- ImageLink Interface Specification: MedicaLogic
- DimpleCache Server Interface Specification: MedicaLogic
- Implementation Guide for Immunization Data Transactions: US CDC