During a recent monthly user group session held for current Corepoint Health customers, Mike Stockemer presented the most common ways customers are using web services to exchange documents via Corepoint Integration Engine, the most common being using web services for public health reporting.
The five real-world scenarios in which Corepoint Health customers are most often exchanging health data using web services include:
- Deliver HL7 messages to a state agency
- Deliver CDA documents to a health information exchange (HIE)
- Receive CDA from an EHR
- Standard and custom web services
- HL7 v2 to CDA via Direct Project
The interesting component of using web services are the workflow challenges that are being solved using Corepoint Integration Engine. Let’s take a look at the first scenario in this post. For the sake of brevity, we’ll describe the other scenarios in future posts.
Deliver HL7 messages to the state via web services
Typical actions involved with public health reporting:
- EHR sends HL7 message over TCP/IP interface into Corepoint Integration Engine
- “Fix” the HL7 message into a format the state can receive (despite Meaningful Use certification, several EHR vendors do not completely adhere to the CDA standard)
- Create a web service message (XML) from the new HL7 message per the state’s requirements
- Sends the new web service message to the web service sender interface and make a web service request of the state repository, transmitting the XML message to the state.
- Receive the response from the state that indicates successful transmission or any error codes that occurred, indicating a problem with the content of the XML file.
- Processes responses from the state so the interface team can become aware of any issues that need to be resolved.
Stage 2 meaningful use requires caregivers to send syndromic surveillance and reportable lab results to their state’s department of public health. To read what HL7 information is required, read syndromic surveillance and reportable labs in meaningful use.
if you’re a corepoint health customer, you can view the complete presentation in the user community.Tags: Corepoint Integration Engine, meaningful use, radiology, web services